Discord overlay is not working – one of the most known issues of Discord. This is a big issue as most gamers use Discord to communicate with their teammates easily and without this feature, communication will not be possible. So here we have 9 easy ways to fix the overlay not working problem. Do go through the whole article as even if the first fix does not work for you does not mean the others also will not be helpful.
Quickly Fix Discord Overlay not Working – [Solved]
1. Check that In-Game Overlay is Turned on
- First, run the Discord app on your computer
- Next, go to the gear icon known as user settings.
- Click on overlay option and turn on the in-game overlay.
- Now click on game activity option, locate the game you are playing and make sure that overlay feature is turned on for that game.
- If the feature is already enabled then turn it off for a while and turn it on. Now confirm all the applied settings and restart the game.
2. Permit Discord Admin Privilege
If the Discord app does not have administrative privileges, then this error is usual. You can use the following guidelines to get rid of the problem.
- Right-click on your discord application and run as administrator.
- Click on yes option. It will launch the Discord app.
3. Deactivate Hardware Acceleration
Hardware Acceleration can nicely run the Discord app. But it may give you a little headache with the overlay feature. Go through the following guidelines to overcome the issue.
- Double click the desktop icon to expand the discord app.
- Go to the user settings option.
- Click on appearance option.
- Scroll down and turn off hardware acceleration and confirm the action by clicking the okay button.
4. Quit the Background Applications
Sometimes background applications create a problem, so turning them off sometimes works.
- Open the Task Manager with the shortcut keys Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
- Go to the Properties tab.
- Select all the unnecessary running processes. Then click on the End Task button.
- 4. Now restart discord.
Related Article: 5 Ways to Fix Discord Screenshare No Audio Issue
5. Activate the Hotkey for Overlay
You should have chosen a hotkey for the overlay feature on the Discord app. If you have one, then you should look out if the overlay hotkey is not interacting with other hotkeys associated with the Discord app. For activating overlay follow the simple methods.
- Run Discord app on your computer.
- Click on gear icon to start the user settings.
- Now click overlay option and there is a hotkey option next to that and add a hotkey.
6. Deactivate Windows Firewall
- Open the start menu and search for Windows Firewall in the search bar.
Click on the Windows Firewall option from the results in the search bar.
- Click on ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off’ option.
- Select the option named ‘Turn off Windows Firewall’.
- Save changes.
7. Adjust the Display Scale
If the display scale is 100% or more than that you might not be able to use overlay. So follow the methods to adjust display scale on your computer.
- Go to the Settings app of Windows.
- Next, go to the System section.
- After that, you have to choose the Display option. You can notice the Scale and Layout section. Choose the Scale as a 100% (Recommended) option.
- Now, you can relaunch your game on the Discord app and check if the issue is fixed.
8. Reboot Your Computer
If the given methods are not working you should reboot your pc from the start menu and see if it works.
9. Uninstall and Re-Install Discord
If you have come this far without any solution, you can try reinstalling your discord app. Sometimes because of installation files error, discord faces problem while running and we have to suffer for that. But reinstalling can fix the problem most of the time.
Follow the simple methods to reinstall discord app without facing any problem
- Open control panel in your windows operating system. Navigate to ‘Apps and Features’.
- In the list of installed apps, click on Discord
- Now the uninstall button shall appear. Click on it and go through the uninstallation process.
- Permanently delete the Discord app directory in C drive’s program files folder. This will delete all leftover files and settings and let us do a clean install the next time.
- Now go the official discord site and grab the latest version of the stable installer suitable for your version of the operating system.
- Reboot the system and install the discord through the downloaded installer. Wait till it finishes the installation and then check if your discord overlay is working.
I hope all these instructions helped you out, and if not you can submit a request to their official website. Also, if you have found any other way around, do let us know in the comments.