If you play regularly or even once in a blue moon with your friends, you must know the importance of communication. Whether you are playing PubG with your friends or any other game, communicating to defeat the other team is very important. Here, Discord is like a ray of sunshine on a dark cloudy day. Discord is one of the best communication tools. Therefore, when a Discord update fails, it can become a huge problem. We will solve the discord update failed.
Read: Quickly Fix Discord Overlay not Working – [Solved]
- Hence, in today’s article, we will discuss Discord and methods to solve Discord update failed.
- What is Discord?
- How to join Discord and get started with it?
- How many people can join a server?
- How to use Discord?
- Why is Discord great for Large Groups?
- How is Discord great for small groups and streamers?
- Discord Pricing
- Standard Discord Nitro tier
- Causes of Discord Update Failed
- How to Fix Discord App Not Updating?
- Methods to Fix Discord Update Failed
- Run your Discord as the Administrator
- Rename Update.exe file
- Disable your Windows Defender
- Disable your Antivirus temporarily.
- Delete AppData contents and Reinstall Discord
- Reinstall Discord
- Contact Discord Support
Hence, in today’s article, we will discuss Discord and methods to solve Discord update failed.
Before we start discussing the hacks to solve update failed Discord, we will talk about Discord. This guide will give you a clear picture of Discord if you still do not know about it. So, let’s get going.
What is Discord?
Discord is a popular communication tool. It has over a quarter billion users and is still attracting more users. Addressing Discord as just a gamer’s communication tool is incorrect. Whether you want to communicate for a school’s function or some official work, Discord does wonder for you. Discord lets you text, talk, video call, and even join servers where you can interact with a larger sect of the community.
Discord puts a lot of emphasis on less chaotic online collaboration and real-time communication. You can talk to a person on a voice call with clear audio as if the person is sitting right beside you. Moreover, Discord makes online project meetings, discussions, and conversation while engaging in some other work very lucid.
Discord aims to have seamless communication with as many people as you want to. It has a straightforward user interface, and you can even customize it as per your choice. Hence, Discord is slowly growing to be a favorite communication tool.
How to join Discord and get started with it?
Discord is a platform agnostic. You can join it quickly and communicate even easier. You can integrate it with your PlayStation or Xbox account. Moreover, Discord is not limited to any one system. As it is not tethered to a gaming console, you can lucidly talk to your family, classmates, or teammates.
You can use Discord or your system’s browser, or you can even download the Discord app and install it on your Android, Linux, iOS, and macOS. So, the first task is over, and now you have to create an account. After creating an account, you can create your server, join one, and even invite your friends and family or others to join your server.
A server constitutes channels where the members can interact with other members through video, text, and voice. Discord is an excellent option for people who want to run their server. Moreover, Discord gives you a myriad of customization options as well.
When you create channels, you can sort them into categories. So, you can find the channels and servers within those servers on the left rail. If you want to check out the list of friends and members, you will find it on the right side. If you want to add more members or friends or message them, you can do it either from the screen’s top or bottom. Moreover, you can even search for servers from the same place as well.
How many people can join a server?
A single server can hold up to 250,000 members, and a single person can join up to 100 servers. If you find that more than 25,000 members are online at the present moment, you have to contact Discord support and ask them to provide you with more server space. Hence, this will omit connection errors.
The limit for categories for a single server is 50, and the number of channels is 500. Hence, you have to create accordingly.
So, whether you are planning for a surprise birthday party, playing a game with your friends, or holding a meeting for a social cause, you have it sorted with Discord. Therefore, just download the Discord app and create an account or you can even head to your Windows browser and enjoy using Discord.
Now, what if you are updating Discord and your Discord update failed? Well, you do not have to worry about it as we have everything sorted. Keep scrolling and reading to check the methods of solving this issue.
How to use Discord?
You can use Discord separately and alongside whatever you are doing simultaneously. Let’s say you have a group of friends with whom you play daily. So, you or any friend can create a discord server, and then all of your friends can play the game, smashing enemies while conversing with each other. And, all these happen without any hindrance and network issue.
Crossplay allows players to compete and challenge players on other consoles. Hence, Discord is very advantageous for those players. Moreover, you have the option of Public as well as Private server on Discord. You can have a private server with your friends and teammates. Moreover, private chats are best for secrecy as well. Moreover, the private discord servers are password protected as well. Therefore, you will not have any stranger screaming at you.
Public servers are great for people who want to interact with like-minded people. Say you love to talk about fashion or a game, then all the fans will join that server and share their views and ideas. For the in-jokes server, you can even create custom emotes.
Discord is an excellent place for Streamers as well. So, while you are watching your favorite streamer, then you can talk to a member of the same Discord channel. Moreover, if you subscribe or like a streamer’s YouTube channel or Patreon or Twitch, you can even win rewards.
Therefore, while you use Discord and join new servers and channels, you interact with many different people. It’s is an excellent opportunity for people who love interacting with strangers and like-minded people.
Why is Discord great for Large Groups?
Say you are a Dance teacher at a School and you are preparing for the annual function. Now, Whatsapp has a group limit of 250 people. What if you have more than 250 students? Well, Discord is your savior. You can talk to your students, stream practice sessions, and plan accordingly with all the students together.
Moreover, when you build a Discord server, you can make separate channels and even have different access permissions. Also, this lets you put everyone in a giant message thread. This saves a lot of time for other users who do not relate to one specific discussion point. You can even have separate voice-chat channels as well. Hence, this makes you and your groups sorted.
If your server has more than one administrator or moderator, then Discord has several moderations and automated admin tools. Very big servers can have more than a hundred thousand members, and here Discord helps you stay sorted and uniformed. You can use several moderation tools and save yourself from different internet flavors. If you are running a server for PubG fans, you can choose different moderators and create different channels to run region-wise or country-wise.
When you have an organized Discord server, then it will represent an organized and well-managed message board. You can keep your server organized with guidelines on top and locked announcement. This is a fantastic feature when you have so many people to manage in a single server.
Moreover, you can live stream, and all the members can comment and see you and work accordingly. In other VoIP services such as Skype managing, so many things are not lucid. But, here you have Discord, your knight and savior in shining armor.
How is Discord great for small groups and streamers?
If you have a dozen friends or just two to three friends with whom you play regularly, then Discord is a great choice again. You keep a tab of active members and who is available to play. Moreover, you can talk with your friends, and you can even notify the members of which game you’re playing. So, you have to check three different applications as to who is online and available for a game.
If your friends play a different game and engage in voice-chat, you can open another channel and text chat with them. Therefore, Discord gives you an all-around experience, and when a discord update failed, it can halt your life a bit.
If you are a YouTube or Twitch streamer, then Discord is a great tool to manage your followers. When you live stream on Discord, it gives your followers more flexibility and lucidity to chat with you. The Discord Streamer Mode hides invite codes and gives you even more authority.
As a streamer, you can even link your Discord account to your Twitch or YouTube account. Your followers and subscribers can join your server, and you can even provide subs special permission. Therefore, it is an excellent field for interaction.
Moreover, when you are an interactive and active streamer, your chances of gaining followers increase. Your work gets accolades, and different people get to know about your activities as well. A healthy interaction, knowing what your audience wants is always a great way to gain popularity. You also have the authority over what can and cannot happen on your server. Therefore, you are the King of this kingdom.
Hence, if you are a streamer, then a Discord account is very beneficial for you.
Now, you might have a question about whether Discord charges any price or not. Well, Discord is free to download, install, and use. You can enjoy creating servers, chatting on them, and enjoy other features. If you need extra features, you can get the Discord premium version, i.e., Discord Nitro. Discord Nitro is available in two tiers. Hence, let’s check the details.
Firstly, you have the Discord Nitro Classic available to you at $5 per month or $50 per year. Now, when you get this subscription, you have the following features:
- A user gets the ability to change the username four-digit tag.
- It also fetches you a Nitro Badge.
- You can use custom emotes beyond the home server.
- The video quality of streaming improves as well.
- You can live stream at 60 fps in 1080p.
- Moreover, you can screen share either in 1080p or 720p.
- Lastly, you also get the ability to turn GIFs into emojis and avatar pictures.
Standard Discord Nitro tier
Next, you have the second premium version, the standard Discord Nitro. This offers all the features of the Discord Nitro Classic. In addition to those features, you get some more perks as well. You can easily add files up to 100 MB. This is just the double to that of the Classic plan. Moreover, you have prettier video quality as well. This plan costs $10 per month and $100 per year.
Two Server Boosts are available for you as well. When one server gets boosted, it unlocks even more features. Therefore, you can enjoy a lot of features and advantages. These bonuses include:
- Animated icons
- Emoji slots
- Vanity URL
- Server banner
- You also have custom artwork invites.
- Lastly, better and improved upload limits and video quality.
If you do not pay for the server, but if you have a strong community and members can unlock benefits, others can pay for it. Therefore, always focus on building a strong community to unlock benefits and features. Moreover, make your server warm and welcoming instead of making it toxic. Always remember that you have to grow your organization and not decrease it.
So, now we have discussed all the points and features of Discord. It is a tremendous communicating tool not just for gamers but for other sects as well.
Discord is subtle and helps you work gracefully, and in an organized way, then Discord update failed. This can halt your gaming experience and your social cause meeting as well. If you face this problem or do not want to face this problem anymore, then scroll down and look at the methods below.
Causes of Discord Update Failed
There can be a myriad of reasons for this failure. But, the most crucial cause of this failure is the internet connectivity issue. If you try starting your Discord without a proper internet connection, then the Discord Update Failed will show on the screen. Moreover, this message will pop again when you are using Discord, and you lose the internet connection.
Similarly, if your internet connection or anything disrupts your connectivity to the server on the Discord app, then the message will pop again. Moreover, firewalls, Antivirus, and other factors also lead to this error.
If your internet connection is sufficient and still faces a discord update failed loop, this could be due to corrupted Discord local files. So, when you remove the files and perform some more tasks, the issue can be resolved.
How to Fix Discord App Not Updating?
You can attempt the two following methods to solve the problem:
- Restart your Router: The easiest and quick fix to this issue is by restarting your router. You can even change your internet connection to solve this issue.
- Restart your system: If the first fixed solution does not help you, you can restart your system to solve it.
If the above two easy solutions do not help you solve your problem, you can look at the methods below. The methods are explained in detail, and by following the steps, you can solve the problem in a jiffy.
Methods to Fix Discord Update Failed
Below we have listed the best methods by which you can fix the problem of Discord update failed. So, let’s check out the methods.
Run your Discord as the Administrator
Now, the first and best solution for the problem is running the Discord with specific administrative permissions. Moreover, this also allows the updater to engage in making certain changes. Therefore, you have to download and install the new updated version of Discord.
To do this step successfully, you have to make sure that your local account should be an administrator. If this is not the case, you have to have access to an administrator password only.
- The first step is on your taskbar; you have to search for Discord.
- Then, all you have to do is simply right-click from the results, and it is found under Best Match. Next, choose the “Run As Administrator” option from the pop-up menu.
- Lastly, when the UAC or User Account Control prompts you, click on “Yes.” By doing this, you are allowing Discord to make changes on your device. This step is essential for updating the application.
If this step couldn’t help you much, then you can check out the below-mentioned methods.
Rename Update.exe file
When users started facing the issue, the Discord update failed; the discord troubleshooter spotted a problem with the update.exe file. Therefore, we recommend you rename the file so that your Discord gets updated with the latest version.
Now, follow the steps below to ace this step successfully.
- Firstly, navigate to your App folder:
- Now, press the “Windows+R” keys. Then, simply paste “C:\Users\Username\AppData.” Remember to remove the quotation marks. Also, rename your user name with your local account’s username.
- Next, open “File Explorer.” Then, select This PC. Then, go to “C:” Next, select “Users” and then “Username.” Lastly, like “App Data.”
- Now, simply open the “Local” folder. Now, you have to locate the Discord folder. After you have found it, then simply select it.
- Then, simply right-click on the Update file, and from the dropdown, select “Rename.”
- Now, after you have selected the Rename option, type “UpdateX.exe.” Then, hit Enter. Now, you can proceed to run Discord as an administrator. For this, you can follow the step above.
This step has done wonders for a lot of Discord users. Therefore, you must try this method to solve the update issue. If this method did not work for you, then check out the next method.
Disable your Windows Defender
The Windows 10 antivirus measures can conflict with Discord and cause the update failure. You may then try disabling the Windows Defender and then update Discord to solve the issue.
- Using the “Windows+I” keys, you have to open the “Settings” application. Or, you may press the gear icon from your Start menu as well.
- Next, click on the “Update and Security” option.
- You have to navigate to “Windows Security” and then select “Virus and Threat Protection.” After you have chosen it, then simply click on “Manage Settings.”
- Now, you have just toggle off the “Real-time Protection” option. This will indeed disable the Windows Defender. And, this will stay toggled back off until it is toggled back on.
- Now, try rerunning Discord. Run it as an administrator. If this method succeeds, then it is clear that the Windows Defender was messing up with the Discord update.
Disable your Antivirus temporarily.
It is a known fact that Antivirus applications tend to cause an issue with your internet connection and may even stop some apps. You can check whether or not it is your Antivirus that is causing the Discord update failed problem. So, you can try temporarily disabling it.
Note that this method is a bit risky. It is highly recommended that you have a proper backup of your system. Moreover, only process with this method when you are well aware of all the risks. If you are confident to proceed with this method, then follow the steps below.
- On your taskbar, simply right-click anywhere. Then, open the Task Manager.
- If the Task Manager is Compact mode launched, then expand the details by clicking on the “Mode Details” button.
- Now, at the top of the Window, you will find the header menu. There you have to switch to the “Start-up” tab.
- There you will find your Antivirus. Just click on it after you find it.
- On the bottom-right of the screen, you will find the “Disable” option. So, when you restart your device again, this will disable the Antivirus from launching.
- Lastly, restart your system again. Check whether or not the error appears also.
Hence, if your Discord is updated typically and you can continue with your Discord, your Antivirus application was the culprit. So, if you face this problem and is a risk-taker, you can try this method.
Delete AppData contents and Reinstall Discord
A lot of Discord users have reported that this method has solved the update issue. So, you must try this method to get rid of the Discord update that failed.
Sometimes as it is said, the problem lies within. So, over here as well, it might be an inside app problem. Apps keep on getting updated. So, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Discord app.
- Go to the “Task Manager.” And then simply “End” all tasks related to Discord.
- Then, press “Windows+R.” After you have pressed it, a run command box will appear.
- In the command box, type “appwiz. CPL” and press “Enter.”
- Next, an application manager will appear on your screen. Then, look for Discord over there.
- Then, right-click on the Discord app and select “Uninstall.”
- Next, hold the Windows Key+R.
- Type “%appdata%.” Press Enter. After doing this, you will find all the folders that contain cache.
- Now, locate the “Discord” folder and just delete it. If you are unable to find the Discord folder, then it is hidden. Then, you have to select “View” from the top bar. So, there you can check the hidden items.
- Now, head to the Discord official website and install the latest version. Then, restart your system.
- Lastly, launch Discord to fix the discord update failed loop.
This is the easiest of easiest methods. You can simply uninstall the old Discord and then again reinstall a new version.
- Visit the official Discord website.
- Then, look for the Discord installer. Then, run the Discord installer and follow the instructions on your screen.
Contact Discord Support
If none of the above methods helped you solve your Discord update failed problem, then simply go for this method. So, if you cannot solve the problem alone even after going through the methods, do not worry. Simply contact Discord Support Center, and the experts will guide you properly.
So, these were the methods you can follow to solve the Discord update failed problem. Go through them properly and fix the problem.
Discord is undoubtedly an excellent communication tool. You do want to keep your life at a halt if the Discord update failed occurs. Whether you are play games seamlessly with Discord, or you are a YouTube streamer, Discord can be an essential part of your life. If you are facing any issues, follow the simple steps above and get your issues solves. Hence, get going.